The various teams that represented African countries confronted the challenges at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, claiming victory to a total of 45 medals, making it the continent’s most successful Olympics. Listed below are top 5 African countries with highest medals, beginning from the best……Kenya.
1. Kenya: Athletes from the East African country made their country proud by coming out as the best African country overall to haul six gold medals, six silver and one bronze making it 13 medals in total, emerging the 15th best overall, globally.
2. South Africa: The Rainbow Nation is ranked second in Africa overall best at Rio 2016. They won 10 medals in total. The gold hunt was dominated by the 800m where Wayde van Niekerk and Caster Semenya led. Six silver and two bronze mean.
3. Ethiopia: The East Africans took pride in the way in which their one gold medal was won. Almaz Ayana’s unbelievable record-breaking run in the 10,000m led to the country’s one gold, but a further 2 silver and 5 bronze medals made Ethiopia emerged with a total of eight medals.
4. Cote d’Ivoire: made history at this year’s Olympics with the arrival of the country’s first ever gold medal. Cheikh Salah Junior Cisse’s gold in the men’s 80 kg taekwondo finals, coupled with Ruth Marie Christelle Gbagbi’s bronze in the women’s 67 kg category saw the West African nation emerge the fourth best; the highest in its history ever.
5. Algeria: This country took home two silver medals at this year’s Games. Both came from Taoufik Makhloufi, who came second in both the men’s 800 and 1,500 meters finals.